While technology has definitely had an impact on the way businesses market today, print marketing is still very much alive. Direct mail marketing is an excellent way to reach your target market and bring very good response rates.
A recent study by Vertis Communications found that 63 percent of adults surveyed have responded to direct mail that offered a percentage discount on merchandise, and 72 percent indicated they have replied to direct mail containing a “buy one, get one free” offer.
Direct mail marketing can also be used to increase both your online and offline traffic, as the study reported that 46 percent of adults responded to direct mail by visiting the advertiser’s store or Web site, or by calling a toll-free number or mailing an enclosed response card.
You may also discover that direct mail marketing has a few advantages over online marketing, such as:
1. A postcard or letter addressed to the right person can make its way past a company’s gatekeepers and get your message directly to the decision makers.
2. A letter is a more personal communication; a well-written direct mail letter reads as if you are speaking directly to your prospective customer, giving you the opportunity to expound on how your product or service can benefit them. This type of communication can help you get into the mind of your prospect much more effectively than a display ad or social media campaign.
3. Your direct marketing vendor will have access to a comprehensive database of U.S. residents and businesses broken down by demographics and industry. This information is gathered on an annual basis from U.S. Census data. By targeting an audience of individuals and businesses that may be interested in your product or services, you are increasing the chance that your marketing efforts will lead to a business conversion.
4. Direct marketing gives your target audience a tangible item, which may remain in their home or office to be viewed multiple times, and by different individuals. You can increase the likelihood that your mail will be saved by including a coupon, small calendar, helpful hints, or other relevant items.
5. Direct mail marketing services can help level the playing field for smaller companies. A well-executed direct marketing campaign can present your company at its best advantage and help you build your brand.
As stated in the Direct Marketing Association’s 2010 Response Rate Trend Report, “One reason why direct mail marketing continues to be a go-to strategy for direct marketers is that improvements in printing and database technology as well as analytics have allowed direct mail and other offline media to deliver consistent response rates.”